Friday, March 21, 2014

shark teeth.

This is where they come from...


This is what it leaves behind...

And this is what we find!


Lots and lots of shark teeth!


We went to the beach this morning and got tipped off by a surfer (who got tipped off by a collector) that to the left of where we were standing the water churned up a lot shark teeth and sea glass (which is the first time that I ever heard of such a thing...Those green things in Staci's hand above are examples) (Also.. I just forgot about this until just now, but we were watching sharks out in the water! AS these people were heading out to surf! It's a miracle that we got to talk to her ^_^)

So at low tide we headed out. Staci, her dad, her grandma and I on a hunt for shark teeth!

Stace was the first to find one! I picked up one that I thought could be one... looks more like a tooth shaped rock, I thought. But I went to the expert and showed her what I found and sure enough! My first tooth was found! It happened to be the biggest one I found that day. Staci's was small and I couldn't even believe she found it! That's when I knew the hunt was on!

We walked around scrunched over and looking at small pieces of shell and rock that were spread out along the beach. It's crazy really.. how there is SO many little pieces of treasure in the midst of what most people ignore. Mainly because the big shells seem prettier than a bunch of small chips of shells. It's also crazy how many we probably didn't find... because we got bored and moved on, or stepped over a patch to catch up with the rest of the group.

It made me want to be more patient with life. And enjoy the things that just seem to get shoved aside as unimportant or uninteresting. There is so much there to uncover! Even with the things and people you think you know well.. there's always more to see; to go back and sift through what you might think you already looked at. Think of all the things in the Bible that you've read fifty times! There's still treasure in it all waiting to be discovered!

Near the end of our time I saw a lady that was among us also looking around. I said hello and showed her my handful of tiny teeth and I asked her what she was looking for. Sea glass. She opened her hand and I saw beautiful huge pieces of smooth glass. I ooh'd and ahh'd. She had huge pieces that were obviously from the bottoms of bottles and curved pieces of broken glass that were perfectly sanded and smoothed by the oceans waves, salt, and sand.  She smiled, shook her jacket and said, "I've got a pocketful here!" What a sweetheart. ^_^ It made me want to start looking for glass! Haha!

Don't rush through tomorrow! Talk to someone new and learn something new about an old friend. It'll be worth it!


<3


No comments:

Post a Comment